Walking Towards a Sustainable Future

I really enjoyed looking at these "Green Chemisty" links. I love the idea of such material being in the classroom, particularly children and teens'. It enforces the idea that chemistry isn't just what the world is made of, but how we make our own world. Kids should begin to understand at a young age that they have the intelligence and agency to put into practice such things as Dr. Nelson's "Principles of Green Chemistry." Obviously, it's harder to implement these ideas on adults that have already lived their whole lives wasting and trashing. Wouldn't it be great if at school, along with Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, kids had to take a class called "Sustainable Science"?
I know that studies of environmental sustainability are perhaps in the minorty amidst all of this "progress," but it thrills me that there are so many platforms popping up for people to voice and share their findings and ideas for paving a cleaner future for ourselves. Phillip Sutter really broke it down in his paper.... It really makes you realize how "sustain" isn't even a word in the vocabulary of so many engineers and contractors. I loved his list:
What should we sustain?
The community of life – from Earth Charter
Human life - survival
Societies/communities/cultures
The quality of human life
The realisable potential of each human life
Nature/ other species/ biodiversity
Life support infrastructure
Resource supply infrastructure
The social/economic value of non-renewable resources
The ability of society to function, despite resource depletion
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home